Geraldton is the home of the Brolos Lobster Fisherman’s Co-operative and we took a tour of their facilities. This was a great tour providing us an insight into the lobster industry in the area.
- Some facts:
- Brolos came into being in the 1950’s.
- 98% of the lobsters caught and processed by the co-op are exported to China
- The best quality lobsters return $100/kg to the fishermen and sell for up to $500/kg in China
- The lobsters are chilled down to 5º Celsius before being packed in special wood-shavings for exporting live to China
- Once in China they are released into holding pens and kept alive until they are reading for cooking in restaurants
- The day of our visit a truck was loaded with 30 tonne of fresh lobster to be taken to a new processing facility in Welshpool WA, just 4km from Perth’s international airport (so 30,000 kgs x $100 = $3,000,000)
- All profits are returned to the co-operative and distributed through to the fishermen members
Here are some excellent video’s (from YouTube)…